Friday, December 5, 2008

The Stay At Home Amami

Well, it's Friday. And so you know what that means, don't you? It's Amami Night!

It's all the hair-washing excitement of New Year's Eve - times ten! You'd have thought stuff that is made of pure gold would be a little more expensive. But Amami is a bargain at 3 cents a week.

Warning: it may not be real gold. It is probably just - shampoo.

But it does an awful lot for your "dull tired hair" - makes it "radiant and full of life." That makes sense - when I'm dull and tired, gold has the exact same effect on me! But I prefer mine in the form of jewelry or coins, thanks.

The lady on the right does not look convinced about this Amami stuff. She's brooding about something. And brooding is really more of a Sunday Night activity. At least her hair looks happy. Happy is defined here as shiny sausage curls pinned tightly to your head.

Thank you again to Amy for this wonderful 1940s ad.

11 comments:

Needless To Say said...

You are so right about Sunday night brooding. Maybe I can forget about that in the throes of Amami night!

Chat Blanc said...

If Amami could make my social life "radiant and full of life" then I might consider it. ;)

~~louise~~ said...

She looks like me when my mother made me wear my hair in banana curls. Hey, I was three. What's her excuse?

Bill said...

An evening with Amami must be an ordeal. She looks completely tuckered out.

Amy said...

oh was this one of the ones I sent you? cool! I'm glad you can use them. I have more if you want me to email them.

Tori Lennox said...

Gold is okay but platinum would perk me up more. But like you said, in jewelry. Even though I'm not really a jewelry kind of girl. I'd make an exception for platinum...

Kloggers/Polly said...

I have it on good authority that in Britain Friday night was also called Amami night. Young ladies stayed in to wash their hair so that it would be pretty for Saturday night - it was a time when people had to work on Saturdays! Thankfully, it was before my time - we none of us realise how lucky we really are!!

Lidian said...

Needless To Say - Yes, be here now and all that, and pass the Amami!

Chat Blanc - I'll settle for it making my hair look good, really...

Louise - Her excuse? Fashions in the 1930s (or 1940s)!

Bill - That's true. What exactly does one do on Amami Night??

Amy - Yes indeed, it is! Thank you, thank you! :)

Tori - Ooh, I forgot all about platinum! I'll have some of that, too.

Kloggers/Polly - I didn't know that the excitement had been multinational. I wonder if it ever came to Canada?

The Hussy Housewife said...

Great! I have so many of theses I could send you..I just don't know which ones you have already done. Keep it up!

Frogs in my formula said...

I need to get me some Amami (it sounds like a Hawaiian fish or something, huh?). Sure does look shiny though, even in black and white.

Lidian said...

The Hussy Housewife - Thank you! That would be fabulous. Don't mind if I already have 'em! :)

Frogs In My Formula - Me too, my Friday nights demand sparkling hair, which I haven't really had since the 80s and that spray-in gold sparkly stuff that got all over my black outfit as well as my hair. But that, as they say, is another story.